Some days, maybe most days, I wonder if I’m crazy. Any entrepreneur will tell you that it’s not easy running a company, let alone two, but yet I find myself doing exactly that. I would have never guessed that I would trade in my life as a Corporate Finance Director for a life as an Interior Designer, and then have this grand idea for a community of female entrepreneurs that would become Passionistas. But it’s safe to say that it is rare that the plans we initially have for our lives actually happen, God’s plan is always much bigger and much better.
Everyday seems to be a constant struggle of long to do lists, managing clients, Starbucks (all hail the Chai Tea Latte), goals, and running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I have my days of being exhausted and frustrated, but most days I feel passionate and filled with purpose. I’ve been working on some new and exciting things for Passionistas, and Diana Studios my interior design namesake, which has made life as of late ridiculously chaotic. And once you add in the headaches stemming from a neck injury, I’ve been running on passionate fumes. All of these recent events, whether blessings, annoyances, or aha moments; has left me thinking about how difficult it is to stay motivated and inspired. But yet I always seem to be able to do it, all thanks to my 5 go-to methods for staying motivated.
I don’t just want success, I want a legacy.
- Laugh, often. Thank God for a sense of humor which is literally my #1 go-to in stressful situations. I’m going to make mistakes, I’m going to forget things, I’m going to drop my phone, and I’m sometimes going to be so tired that I drive past my exit on the highway… and instead of dwelling on everything that my perfectionist personality does, sometimes I just have to laugh at myself and remember that I’m human. And laughing incessantly with my friends always helps me refocus my energy.
- Keep a list and enjoy crossing things off. A list makes me feel organized and ensures I don’t forget anything. And best of all, every time I cross something off of that list it feels euphoric.
- Read and reflect. I read a lot, and even when I don’t have time to dive into a book I dive into articles that cover everything from current events to what’s new in business and technology. Then when I have a free moment (normally while driving or in the shower), I reflect and I always seem to come up with a new idea or have an aha moment on something I’ve been working on.
- Embrace challenge, both physical and mental. There’s something about bootcamp classes with Body by Akua or a Rugged Maniac race, which pushes me beyond my limits, that makes me excited. The mental challenges come from pushing myself and my businesses forward… I don’t just want success, I want a legacy. And in seeing the things that I would never thought I could, or would, do is always motivation to conquer something else.
- Curse. Yes, drop an f-bomb every now and again. We all have those moments when saying “dang” just isn’t enough. There’s something about expletives that acts a stress-reducer for me, and I almost find it entertaining since it is so far from how I was raised.
- Avoid bullshit. (Consider this a bonus since I was trying to cap this post at 5). I avoid people who drain my energy, people who are toxic, people who lack humility or common sense, and I avoid things that I know will annoy me. All things that I consider bullshit. This allows me to focus on the things that matter to me and that make me happy.
Motivation comes from within and inspiration can come from anywhere. How do you stay motivated and inspired? Comment below!