What keeps Me Motivated?
My faith! In one word that sums it up completely. My faith and belief that every single experience I encounter is created for me.
As an entrepreneur I have many days where I wonder, what if I just didn’t make a business move today, what would happen??? Those days where I don’t want to be Ms. Black Brunch, I just want to be L. The days where I don’t want to take conference calls, send emails, or update social media. I just want to be… When those days present themselves, I allow them to serve their purpose. They are necessary! Trust me. Many of us entrepreneurs are classic “overachievers” therefore the fear of failure is overwhelming. But allowing yourself to feel and experience real emotions like anger or frustration is the perfect balance. The happiness and joy that precedes those emotions is priceless!
I have absolutely ZERO interest, time, energy, motivation and brain space for ANYTHING that is not an additive to my life and the progression of it.
So when those feelings come my way, I allow them to work, and then when it’s over I go into full attack mode to take my mojo back! That’s when the key components of what keeps me motivated go into effect;
- Faith – Again, my faith keeps me going. I not only wear it tattooed on my wrist, it’s my daily armor. Praying, reading my bible and my daily devotions give me the food my soul requires. My favorite daily devotions come from Better Than Chocolate, by Debby Mane & Trish Perry. I highly recommend it. Who doesn’t love some motivational words and of course chocolate!
- Music – My music is my sanity! On any given day there is no telling what is playing in my earbuds or in my car. Most times its gospel to keep me focused. But it could very well be John Coltrane & Miles Davis, anything Jay Z, JCole(the illest rapper alive) or some good soca music to get my mind moving. I love good music!
- Lists and Post-its – My checklist, in my many notebooks and post-it notes keep me organized. I recently had a conversation with a fellow entrepreneur about how I create a massive To-Do list on Sunday evening, and without fail here comes a brand new list on Monday…lol. I require order and structure in my life, and my checklists provide that. Checking items off of my to-do list remind me that I’m getting stuff done.
- Celebrating my wins! – Getting busy trying to kill the next feat is always the priority, but during that journey many small wins happen and I sometimes lose sight of them. So when I confirm a featured business owner, or lock in a guest speaker for an event, I WIN. I celebrate all my wins. If not me, then who?
- Read – I read something everyday. Whether it’s a quick article in one of my favorite magazines like INC., Entrepreneur, or Essence. Or maybe a few pages from one of the many books I’m reading, lol (Shoe Dog, Phil Knight, The Power of Broke, Daymond John or Onward, Howard Schultz).
- Avoiding Non Additives – What…??? So what that means is, I have absolutely ZERO interest, time, energy, motivation and brain space for ANYTHING that is not an additive to my life and the progression of it. That includes conversations, people, business meetings, etc. I recently told someone that I don’t have heavy conversations…lol. There are many things in life that require serious conversation and attention. Those are the areas that I give my very valuable time and attention. Everything else is secondary.
I start everyday with, Thank you Jesus! Bless me with Faith and Discipline. What keeps you motivated? Comment below!
This is a guest post by L’Oreal Drayton.